Snakes demand the right care and in-depth knowledge. Unlike many other pets, snakes can’t whine or moan when ill, injured or suffering from a health condition.
Snakes For Pets offers easy-to-understand answers to some of the most burning snake questions you may have. We offer practical and helpful advice about pet snakes. All our information is backed by research and science.
Like a snake eying up its prey, our mission is laser-focused – we want to educate U.S. snake owners (and soon-to-be owners) about caring for their pet snake. Alongside this, we also want to counter the misinformation and scaremongering that unfairly tarnishes the serpent species.
Most Popular Articles:
- What is The Law on Killing Snakes by State? (Legal vs. Illegal)If you find snakes on your property or plan to go snake hunting, you might wonder if it’s legal or illegal to kill snakes in … Read more
- How to Tell If a Snake is Comfortable with YouEven captive-bred snakes have the basic instincts of wild animals, so they won’t trust their human owners right away. It is easier to take care … Read more
- How Can You Tell How Old a Snake Is?You want to learn everything that you can about your pet snake. One thing that’s a little more difficult to figure out is exactly how … Read more
- Safe Plants for a Snake’s Terrarium (with Pictures and Video)Live plants are an attractive addition to a snake’s enclosure. They improve the vivarium’s aesthetics, enhancing its naturalistic appearance. They aid in waste management by … Read more
- 9 Pet Snake Food Alternatives (Not Rodents!)Owners and breeders recommend feeding rodents to snakes. Most snakes eat lots of mice and rats in the wild. But if you want to offer … Read more
- 5 Fun Toys for Snakes to Play With (Snake Enrichment Ideas + Activities)Some snake enclosures are quite bare: substrate, a water dish, and two hides. But just because snakes are reptiles doesn’t mean they don’t need toys … Read more
- Which Animals Are Immune To Snake Venom?Venomous snakes are truly fearsome animals. Every year, about 100,000 people are killed by snake venom around the globe. In contrast, the animal kingdom has … Read more
- Do Water Snakes Make Good Pets?Water snakes aren’t commonly kept as pets. This isn’t because they’re overly aggressive or venomous, but because the species is not as popular with breeders. … Read more
- Do Pet Snakes Smell Bad?Snakes are one of the most hygienic pets to own. Aside from their pee and poop, snakes don’t smell much. Contrary to popular belief, snakes … Read more
- Are There Any Vegetarian Snakes? Pet Snakes That Eat Vegetables (With Video)The idea of feeding a snake vegetables, rather than mice or rats, might sound very appealing. But unfortunately, there are no snakes that eat plants. … Read more
- How Tight Can a Python Squeeze?Pythons are constrictor snakes found in the wilds of Asia, Africa, and Australia. They kill their prey by squeezing it to death using their powerful … Read more
- What A Copperhead Snake Looks LikeCopperheads are venomous snakes in the viper family. They are endemic to the United States and parts of northern Mexico, and are most active in … Read more